First Pass Yield (FPY) is the number of assemblies that pass a test divided by the total number tested. So:
To calculate FPY you will need to know the number of good cables and the number of cables tested. Below is how to gather those numbers from your Cirris cable tester. To learn more about First Pass Yield and how it can be useful for you see our First Pass Yield article series.
For Easy-Wire® CR, CH+, and CH2 and Easy-Touch® testers:
When you are in the test program screen, press 'REPORTS' then select the 'RUN REPORT.' The "RUN REPORT" contains a section titled SUMMARY which contains:
- TOTAL TESTED
- TOTAL GOOD
- TOTAL BAD
To obtain these numbers for test runs that have been conducted in the past (CR, CH+ and CH2), go to the "Main Menu" and select 'Utilities.' In the "System Utilities" menu, select 'Test Archive Report.' The archive screen lets you choose how to view the list of archived run reports. Select the report of your choice and press 'SHOW.'
For Signature 1100R+ and 1100H+ testers:
- If you want the numbers printed, connect a printer to the tester through the built-in parallel port.
- From the "SIGNATURE 1100 Main Menu," select 'Set Preferences.'
- From the "Set Preferences" menu, press 'Set Test Count' until "All Cables" is displayed.
- In continuous test mode the tester's display will show a button for "Get Summary Count." When you select "Get Summary Count" the display will show:
To get a printout of the Summary Count, press 'Print Test Summary.'
In Single Test Mode, the "Get Summary Count" option is displayed when cable under test is disconnected.
Note: The 1100 series testers can also be controlled with the Easy-Wire software. In this case reference the instructions above for Easy-Wire testers.
For the Signature Touch 1 tester:
- If you want the numbers printed, connect a printer to the tester through the built-in parallel port .
- The test screen shows the number of good and the number of bad cables tested.
- To get the numbers printed, press 'Test Summary' then 'Print.'
For Signature 1000M, 2000, 1000R+, 1000H, 2000H, and 1000H+ testers:
- Connect a printer to the tester through the built-in parallel port.
- Set the tester's option "COUNT ALL CABLES" to "ON."
- Test the cables. Once you are testing the last cable press the "DISPLAY PRINT," or "ADVANCE DISPLAY" button. The tester will print the test program with the numbers for:
- TOTAL CABLES TESTED
- INTERMITTENT CABLES TESTED
- GOOD CABLES TESTED
- To get the first pass yield, take the difference between the TOTAL CABLES TESTED and the GOOD CABLES TESTED divided by the TOTAL CABLES TESTED.