The Easy-Wire software stores test programs and test results in a database. Due to the critical nature of this information, it’s essential to regularly back up the database to protect against data loss due to a PC or server hardware failure. As a precaution, backing up the database is also recommended prior to installing updates to Easy-Wire or the Cirris Server software. A database backup that matches the software version is also needed in the rare event of downgrading to an earlier version of the Easy-Wire or Cirris Server software. To simplify the process, the Easy-Wire software provides integrated tools to automatically or manually perform the back up function.
Easy-Wire ConfigurationsThere are two Easy-Wire installation types.
- Stand-Alone Test Stations store Easy-Wire test programs and test results data in a database which is typically located on the hard drive of the test station PC-controller. The database is not accessed by other test stations.
- Networked Test Stations use the Cirris Server Software to share a single database, located on a server, among multiple test stations. The Easy-Wire station software allows each client station to load programs from, and save data to, the shared database.
In both instances, the database filename is “easywire.fdb.” The filename of the backup begins with the base name “easywire,” includes the date and time, and uses the extension “.fbk” (for example: “easywire2021_02_18_17_27_51.fbk”).
Backing Up the Database
Accessing the Database Management functions is slightly different on the two Easy-Wire configuration types.
While signed in as a user with security rights to access the Utilities functions, access Database Management from the Easy-Wire Main Menu > Utilities > Database Maintenance. See the Setup Security topic in the Easy-Wire Help for more information on user rights.
Networked Test Stations
On Networked Test Stations, the Database Management functions are not available on the client stations. They must be accessed on the server using the Performance Monitor application.
The Performance Monitor application (PerformanceMonitor.exe) is found under the default path C:\Program Files (x86)\Cirris\Common. After opening the application, log in using the Easy-Wire credentials of a user authorized to access the Utilities functions (see the Setup Security topic in the Easy-Wire Help for more information on user rights). The log-in window will then close and the Performance Monitor icon will appear in the system tray. Right click on the icon and select Database Maintenance from the context menu.
Except for the application icons, the Database Management windows on the Stand-Alone and Networked installation configurations are nearly identical and the backup process is the same.
The fields in the Backup tab include:
- Last Backup Date: Displays the date and time of the last backup.
- Database will be backed up: Automatic backups can be scheduled using the DAILY, WEEKLY or MONTHLY options. Selecting NEVER disables automatic backups.
- Keep: The up and down arrows are used to specify the number of database backup files saved. After the maximum number has been reached, the next backup that occurs overwrites the oldest copy.
- Database will be backed up to: Displays the location where the backup will be saved. To change the path, click on the browse button (...) to the right of the path.
Backing up to the same drive where the database is located will not help recover data lost in the event of a hard drive failure. For that reason, it’s recommended that backup files be saved to a different location such as a USB flash drive, an external drive or to a network drive.
If performing a backup prior to updating the Easy-Wire or Cirris Server software, copy the backup file to a location where it won’t be subsequently overwritten by automatic backup files.
- Clicking the Backup Database button saves the Easy-Wire database backup file to the specified path. If there is a previous backup in the specified location, it will be overwritten.
Restoring the Database
Restoring the database from a backup file on either a stand-alone database or a networked database is very similar, with the following exception:
- On stand-alone stations, the process described below is performed on the station PC controller.
- On networked databases, the process is performed on the server.
- Close the Easy-Wire software. When working with a networked database, close Easy-Wire on stations that access the network database.
- Stop the Cirris Data Access Service.
- Click the Start button and in the list of applications, scroll down and open the Windows Administrative Tools folder and select Services.
- In the Services Manager, highlight Cirris Data Access Service and stop the service by selecting Stop on the Menu Bar (or right click and select Stop from the context menu).
- Leave the Services Manager open to start the Cirris Data Access Service at the end of the restoration process.
- Open the Performance Monitor application (PerformanceMonitor.exe) which is found under the default path C:\Program Files (x86)\Cirris\Common. Open the Performance Monitor application (PerformanceMonitor.exe) which is found under the default path C:\Program Files (x86)\Cirris\Common.
- After opening the application, log in using the Easy-Wire security credentials of a user with authorization to access the Utilities functions (see the Security topic in the Easy-Wire Help for more information). Click OK.
- The log-in window will close and the Performance Monitor icon will appear in the system tray. Right click on the icon and select Database Maintenance from the context menu.
- In the Database Management window, under the Backup tab, select Restore Database from Backup.
- In the navigation window that opens, select the backup file to use for the restoration and select Open.
- A message is displayed warning the user that restoring the database may cause a loss of data, meaning that programs or data saved since the back up will be lost. Select Yes to continue.
- Depending on the time required to restore the database, a message may be displayed showing that the restoration is in process. When completed, a message will be displayed showing that the restoration was successful. Click OK.
- Click Done on the Database Management window.
- Exit the Performance Monitor application by right-clicking the icon in the system tray and selecting Exit from the context menu.
- Start the Cirris Data Access Service in the Services Manager, then close the Services Manager.
- Restart the Easy-Wire software.